Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
betleH tourney database

May 16th, 2024, 8:28am
News: Check the Questions area and follow the instructions. Make sure you are listed on the manifest in the right place... as fighter or attendee... and make sure your attendance icons are set right.

Home Help Search Login
Host simm site

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread
Medical attention at the tourney (Read 2159 times)
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Medical attention at the tourney
Feb 19th, 2006, 4:48am

This tourney is supposed to honor Klingon tradition.  Something just struck me that I never thought of before.  It is simply too late to change now and I wouldn't anyway, since this tourney has started.

But, what do people think about the more fragile species getting healing during the tourney?  You wouldn't expect the Klingons too.. or at least, not more than folk medicine.

In the future, should anything but simple medicine be allowed at the tourney?  Should be be disqualified from the tourney if you get a dermal regeneration or other technological aid?

Or, does it say something that all the Klingons (the honorable ones anyway) refuse healing while the humans are doping up and getting other refreshing boosts?

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
Forum admin for BFKC and betleH tourney
View Profile   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Re: Medical attention at the tourney
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2006, 5:01am

Actually.. this brings up another point of sorts.. when Klingons fight, they fight in their armour, whilst humans et all usually fight in their uniforms.  Which means that hitting and injuring humans and etc is much easier than hurting Klingons because their armor protects them. So the Klingons have an extra edge there, which isn't *too* fair to the other folks who wear Starfleet uniforms whilst fighting...

So... next year.. maybe everyone oughta wear the Klingon uniforms/armour if they are fighting with the betleH, else, the weaker species oughta be allowed to get some sort of healing (at least a temporary patch up job, nowhere near a 100% health though) but say, if you break someone's ribs in round 2, how are they supposed to fight in round 3? Cuts and bruises and scratches is one thing, it's no biggie , but if the cut is deep then that's another story...or if you break someone's foot/hand/etc.... perhaps the battle script of yours can also include types of injuries with each hit? (say whenever someone takes damage, the script specified what kind, ranging from just a bruise/hit to a cut/deeper injury) didn't we have someone get a betleH stuck in their shoulder or something? How would this guy keep fighting and win anything if they can't at least get some temporary medical attention.  

Have to keep in mind that Phase II takes place in one day, that's a lot of matches and fighting, and not everyone has the stamina to keep going after they've been injured over and over again. (in realistic terms) Plus, since this takes place on a Federation base usually, I doubt the feds want anyone dying from injuries gained at the tournament. So a medical team or two at least should be standing by to take care of the more extreme cases and at least patch the fighter up so they can at least fight somehow during the next match.

Rear Admiral Jackie Clawson
Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
USS Horizon: http://horizon.taylord1.co.uk
Task Force 58: http://tf58.bravofleet.com
Biography: http://horizon.taylord1.co.uk/main.php?pageref=bio&crewid=47
Email View Profile WWW Jackie Clawson BFJackieClawson BFJackieClawson   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2006, 5:05am

You remember the episode where Worf is taken prisoner and fights match after match with the Jem'hadar?   I think he got a day of rest between each, but that was part of the challenge.  And he was fighting to the death.

The armor thing is a good point.  But on the other hand, it is heavy.  So the ones in armor should get more tired, but less hurt.

Something to think about though.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2006, 5:25am

Day of rest, is more than an hour of rest Wink  that's why in the olympics, folks use steroids and such, otherwise they'd drop dead somewhere in the middle of the competition and that's that. (not saying you let us use that kinda thing... on the contrary, I'm just saying that humans have a lesser stamina for battles like that than Klingons would... )  

The armor thing, maybe a choice to some folks? those more skilled with the betleH might want to wear the armor (say those with a 7+ or whatever...) whilst those who are a 2 or a 3, wouldn't really wear it anyway. the more they get tired the more frequent their breaks get, which is okay (it's generated by the code anyways...) but they wouldn't get hurt so much.

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
Email View Profile WWW Jackie Clawson BFJackieClawson BFJackieClawson   IP Logged
Jim Hunter
Active Attendee

Human. Don't mess.

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2006, 12:23pm

I think I've mentioned a dermal regenerator, simply because it was the first/best 24th century solution that came to mind for a cut. I think, at least so far as Humans are concerned that some sort of treatment is a necessity, even if it has to be self-administered on grounds of disqualification or something. There's only so much blood the body can lose without it becoming fairly serious. The trouble with the bet'leH is though, that it's a deadly weapon. If you hit someone the way you're supposed to, you'll likely take a limb, let alone a few drops of blood. That's why a lot of my posted fights with one, both here and elsewhere have involved unorthodox tactics such as diving spears and headbutts, not because I'm trying to be different but because you can only suspend disbelief regarding the amount of cuts and lost blood to a point.

But I don't see it (derm. regenerator) as a fix-all. It seals the outer cut, but if the same area takes another knock or hit, the would is 're-opened' or something along those lines. It's just no fun to go from wounded to fine in one hour. If your characters gets thrashed, then the next fight should reflect that, either beause they're overly tired, or don't have full mobility in their right arm.

I've also thought about armour. My line of thought has been based upon what we saw on TV. Because of the budget, the armour wasn't fantastic, and there were still exposed areas such as the arms, calves and necks, so aim for them. I had Hunter doing a Legolas, basically. I also had him fight in something akin to that grey jumpsuit we saw Tuvok wear whilst training. It doesn't make sense to me that Fleeters would fight in their duty uniform, unless constrained by a show's budget.

It'd be interesting in future to consider more bio questions. As DDJ says, you could choose to wear armour or not. If you do, +2 defence, but -2 speed. People would have to make choices that fit their fighter's stats. Hunter might have 7 defence, but only 4 speed, so the armour may not be the best choice for him. I'm not sure it'd be a good idea and wouldn't just detract from the enjoyment, but it's an option.

James Hunter
Test Pilot - KDB
"There's a reason Sisko could fight. He was Human."
Email View Profile   IP Logged
toreQ
Combatant

If the Wise are
fools, I'm a Drunk
Fool...

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2006, 1:58pm

Medical Care wise, I don't how much have seen to what I have writen, but think should have an option there.  Federation officers should be able to get their kind of medical care.  Klingons theirs.  Humans are not built like Klingons, and physicaly it would not be a fair fight if the Human is weakened because he don't have the redundencies of a Klingon.  Would it be honorable for a Klingon to take advantage of that.  You would have more Klingons winning jusr because they can handle wounds better.

Also, I agree in way to the 7 day fight problem.   There's only so much stamina even for a Klingon, and to go threw 7 fights with-out injury would be unrealistic, expecialy with that type of weapon (Good point by Hunter).  Also with only an hour between each match, having a character completely healed between, even with federation technology would also be unrealistic.  Fighters would be getting tired as the rounds go on as well.  More mistakes made by each fighter.  Older fighters would be wearing down quicker, as would wounded.

Having Phase 2 a different day is good though.  Allows the fighters to recoperate, rest from a long day of fighting.  They can get better care as well if want it (Most likely federation ones there).  

Armor wise, that should be an option even now.  If a Human or federation officer went and replicated or bought (look ferengi.. an idea!) armor to wear in match, would we stop them from wearing it?  Same time if some honor bound Klingon decided to remove his to make things even (though people might think he crazy, for a Klingon), would someone stop them?  Thats seems to be a matter of choice.    The up point of armor is some protection, the down point is armor can restrict movements and be heavy.  Maybe someone can come up with an idea for some type of lighter weight armor for the Fedies?

Thoughts?

toreQ, House of Qortlh
ne'
weHwI' XO

Bio
Email View Profile WWW toreQ honortarg1 batlhtargh   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2006, 2:16pm

One Klingon view would be we fight in our uniform.  If you are on a mission and get attacked by surprise, would you take the time to chance out of your jammies?

Having some options that affect combat (wear armor or not) is something I have considered adding.   There has been a request to add a kind of agressiveness in the fight... go for quick win or try to tire him out or such.  There are lots of bits of complexity I can add.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2006, 11:18pm

Can't you have the matches start out 'easier' relatively speaking, then add the extra elements match by match, thus making it harder with each match for folks to 'win' Of course gotta keep in mind that you don't want to make things TOO difficult otherwise it'll kill the fun.  The quick win might be added as another 1 in 1000000 chances. Course knowing my luck I'll land on the darn
 thing next year Tongue but hey..

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2006, 12:17am

How do I have the matches start out easier?  I don't know what that means.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2006, 1:43am

i.e. without any 'addons' so to speak

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2006, 2:09am

One thing you might consider adding, though if it's too complex it's good how it is too, is speed and strength and experience and other modifiers like that.  When filling out my bio it was hard to pick a bet'leth skill level because skill-wise Kentra is quite good and she has experience but she's also quite weak compared to Klingons so I modified it downward from where I would have picked based only on skill.

If instead of just having one set level, picking whether you're as good as Alexander or Worf,and instead had a few categories that added up to an overall level, that might be an idea.

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
Chief Communications Officer
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2006, 2:15am

Yeah, that's another point actually.. some species are more 'agile' than others and thus are less likely to get hit 80-90% of the time, wheras others are less agile and will get hit more often, for instance. Same with speed and strength, characters might wear down sooner if they are not as strong with the betleH than other characters. You can't swing that thing forever and not get tired out. Although you have the 'worn down' element in the battle script now, I'm curious how it works, where it gets the data from and whether it's based on anything in the BIO, if so what..?

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #12 - Feb 20th, 2006, 3:21am

Right now the only allowance for strength is normal, half vulcan, or full vulcan.  I was working on more options there but time ran out.  I had to stablize the code before the tourney.

Next year you might see:   fragile, sub-human, human, half-klingon, klingon, half vulcan, vulcan, hirogen

as options.  But then, are we sure klingons are stronger than humans?

You as asking about agility... how do I measure that?  Show me a canon source that deals with that or even with the strength thing.

Things like reach (based on height) or something with weight (sumos are big for a reason) I could code from biometrics, but how can I code stamina or agility?  This isn't a point based RPG where everyone is balanced.  Do you think the points used to make K'Hare, Ta'pez, K'rahl or Rolf are equal to that to make ness?

If T'shir wants to say he is a good as Worf how do I decide how that relates to Clawson's skill or ta'pez's?  The best I can do is put a number out there and trust people to be honest.  In my simm, many of the characters at the tourney would not be allowed.  I am sure some would not have allowed K'Hare and most would not allow Ing.  Winning in the tourney is very much related to the skill you give yourself and some random luck.  My combat app is my best attempt to capture the idea that a pimply ensign shouldn't beat Wolfe, or if he does, its a rare thing.

The problem is hard.  That's what makes it interesting.

Now, if you want to suggest something with agility by giving me a species list and how you think it would affect combat, up and down the scale, please do, and I will try to incorporate it.  All these things you suggest I have thought of abstractly and I have implemented the ones that were easy or most pressing.

And back to the previous question of jackie's... I still don't get it.  What addons?  How are you suggesting early matches be different than the later ones?

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
satian
Combatant

Satian

Reply #13 - Feb 20th, 2006, 3:27am

fatuge with a klingon becouse of his battle armmor dosent make sence to me, they wear it from childhood and by the time they would enter the turniments it would be as a second skin and they wouldnt even notice it,

just food for thought

View Profile satian mr_faroite faroite ca   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2006, 9:20am

Okay, why Vulcan, half-Vulcan and etc and not other species? and there aren't that many hirogen in BF last I checked... then we might have a few ExBorg folk saying they're stronger because of all the metal bits and pieces they have...

As for canon sources for agility and the like... aren't there any Trek D20 games and handbooks (i'm pretty sure there was a TOS one somewhere, ) but obviously this isn't easy to measure. and you can onlyhope people will be honest with those like they are with their betleH skills.  

Also how does the field of expertiese a character belongs to affects the fighting? a human/non Klingon Doctor might not have the right head for tactical moves and strategizing during a match for instance (not in the same way a marine, security officer or a Klingon would anyway)  

As for addons bit, to be honest I don't recall now what my point was with that last night....but for earlier matches to be different, maybe you can have something like first strike/first blood types in there as well not just disarm types. and maybe add on a few more of different types of battles you can have.  (I'm not sure you can have more than the ones already there, though...)  

However, I think Armor is something that needs to be added next year for most experienced fighters, if not all...since this IS a tournament whichis trying to follow Klingon tradition to a degree. if they're fighting with Klingon weapons, might as well wear Klingon armor.

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2006, 12:15pm

Would armour be something that had to be added into the fight generator?   Couldn't we just assume they were wearing armour?  Those who aren't Klingon maybe are wearing specialized light weight armour that gives the same protection but doesn't weigh as much?

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2006, 12:36pm

Vulcan's being noticably strong is canon.  Klingons being stronger is implied but arguably it could simply be that they are fit where as not all humans are.  Certainly the zakdorn are not physically fit.

In the combat app, vulcans do more damage.  Not much, but it adds up.  If I expand the race strength list that's what it will do.  I just need canon evidence for the strength of each race.  Some think bolians are stronger, some don't.  What about cardies?

I could do the same with agility, I just need evidence of who is better than who.  For armor I could make armor reduce your stength bonus but add to blocking.  Maybe reduce your stamina.   The trick is to find a balance so there isn't a best way to fight... or maybe there is... Klingons wear armor for a reason.

Do people want that?  If I do this it could make some characters who are good now (Wolfe, Bremer) be not as good and never be as good as Klingons.  And I'd have to make a user's guide.  Borg armor - choose this is you are an ex drone or cyborg who has some metal replacement parts internally.  For stamina you have to conside nano probes.  Do we really want bob the ensign who was a borg for 6 months to kick ass in the app because he has nano probes?

How complex do I shoot for?

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2006, 12:41pm

I'd say just have the Klingon armor.....since this IS a betleH tourney and they fight with betleH only.... (else   people will start asking to fight with weapons other than the betleH)

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
Wado
betleH Judges

Klingons rule.

Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2006, 2:57pm

When it comes to healing, I don't see a problem with characters receiving treatment from match to match if it is realistic.  If a character has cuts to be patched up from one match to the next, that's one thing.  If they have broken bones that need to be healed before thier next match which is in like an hour, is that possible?  I'm not a medic so I can answer this with any authority but too me it seems unlikely that they could get something major passed up and get medical clearence in an hour.  Now if their next match is the next day then possibly.

As far as changes to the fight system, I could see adding parts that takes into effect armor or a character's agility.  The basis concepts have been esatblished in the table-top roleplay games and could be modified to fit the tournament.  But for me if we do this we would have to avoid things being tied too much to a character's race.  For example instead of saying, character x is a Klingon so he strength and agility is Y and Z, Character X states that they think their strength and agilty is Y and Z because of _______.  Then the judges have to approve this or not.  

Adding stuff like this I think would work but I just don't want things to get to a point that the only applications we get are for Flood Blooded Klingons who are wearing armor that has been sprayed with PAM for added agility right after they ate their wheaties mixed with Gagh.  The first competition had an even playing field. TOO even as K'hare pointed out to me and I agreed changes needed to be made to make it more realistic.  But K'hare if you ever get someone that wants their Nano probes taken into account let me know, I'll handle that one.  Wink

Rear Admiral Wade Duerkes
Commanding Officer, USS Saturn
Task Force Commanding Officer, Task Force 9
JAG Officer, Bravofleet
Head Judge, Bravofleet Bat'leth Competition
Email View Profile WWW Wado wado_35 wadosaturnco   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #19 - Feb 20th, 2006, 3:09pm

If we're talking realistic, then the Admirals and whatnot fighting at the tournament (especially those that are TFCOs or our BFCO even if he does fight dirty....).. well I'm sure Starfleet wouldn't like to lose any of them and how exactly do they view this sort of thing anyway? I'm sure if it was allowed, they'll want more medical personnel there to handle things. (since for isntance in TNG the Captain can't really go on away missions and beam down into hostile environments....)  

cuts and bruises and sprains are one thing, indeed and it's realistic to get them fixed. but broken bones and such will take more time to heal properly even with the technology in Star Trek. and what about things like concussions?  

and if hte medical treatement is authorized, then shouldn't all the fighters (at least the non Klingon ones) get a checkup after every match to make sure they're not 'in a serious condition'?  and of course it's up to the fighters to accept or deny it, depending on their honor stance and how deeply they value Klingon tradition. or how badly they're hurt.

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

Reply #20 - Feb 20th, 2006, 4:24pm

I'd say let people RP themselves getting a check-up if they want, but that it wouldn't affect the fighting stats.  I RPed that Kentra got medical attention after a fight, and then I RPed her being worn down the next fight, and made mention of sore ribs in subsequent fights.  However if my writing about a potential injury would have affected my combat stats I probably wouldn't have since I wanted to give my best shot at getting into round two.

I think the combat app is cool, and it's a way to decide a winner.  It relies on people being honest about their character, and I think the more stats you add to it, the more catagories for strenght or speed, they'll all just rely on people RPing well and being truthful about their character.

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
QolavraH
Combatant

Without honor, there
is nothing.

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2006, 7:17pm

Q'ol does not wear armor at the tourney.

be'eQaraH would remove her armor is she was fighting someone who did not wear armor at a tourney.

In battle you can't take your armor off if your enemy doesn't wear armor, but here to make it fair, Q'ol doesn't wear armor, even if she is fighting a Klingon who is wearing armor.  

It is an honor thing with her.

As to the medical question.  I think other species should be allowed to do what they want, but I don't think it is particularly fair.  They are weak and have been raised that way though, if we don't let them dope up and dermally regenerate they might cry to their Mothers about it, and then we have to deal with a horde of angry Mothers.

Even Human and Ferengi Mothers are scary if you mess with their offspring.

*snicker*

Q'olavraH la'
Support Vessel HoD
KDB
Email View Profile QolavraH qolavrah QolavraH   IP Logged
Jim Hunter
Active Attendee

Human. Don't mess.

Reply #22 - Feb 21st, 2006, 11:11am

Quote from Jackie Clawson on Feb 20th, 2006, 3:09pm:
If we're talking realistic, then the Admirals and whatnot fighting at the tournament (especially those that are TFCOs or our BFCO even if he does fight dirty....)..

Fleet Admirals are old and weak (well, the realistic ones, anyway). They need some sort of leveller. May as well be fighting dirty. We all know the Federation's a galactic con anyway.  lips sealed

/Murray, not Hunter

James Hunter
Test Pilot - KDB
"There's a reason Sisko could fight. He was Human."
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Bettina Davies
Active Attendee

Reply #23 - Feb 21st, 2006, 12:28pm

About medical care...I agree it's a bit far-fetched to have someone who is near dead up and fighting in an hour.  But if you are going to say that honor 'only' allows Klingons folk medicine, isn't that technically Klingon medicine?  So that a Klingon seeking the most of Klingon care would be the same as another speices seeking the most of their care available.  But I would also suggest that SF medicine be available to any that want it.  By the same token, if you can con someone out of the Klingon stimulants, go for it!

USS Horizon
Email View Profile hallieorr emtpmolly   IP Logged
QolavraH
Combatant

Without honor, there
is nothing.

Reply #24 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 2:21pm

Quote from Bettina Davies on Feb 21st, 2006, 12:28pm:
if you can con someone out of the Klingon stimulants, go for it!

qa'vIn and ra'taj both are available to all in the Lucky Strike Bar and Grill.  I even checked to make sure it is not replicated!  No need to be a Ferengi and con anyone out of these things.

Q'olavraH la'
Support Vessel HoD
KDB
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #25 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 2:32pm

Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
Ren
Active Attendee

Without
respect,there is no
honor.

Reply #26 - Mar 9th, 2006, 11:49pm

Well if Humans used the light weight body armour that Intel and heavy Frontline soldiers use for field battles, they would be protected and have freedom of movement to.

As for the doping thing.  That is a misnomer.  You can treat a patient without giving them a drug that is doping in nature.  So, I say Humans should have the Federation Medical Care and Klingons their care.

If a Human patient is critically injured then yes of course one would have to do surgery on them which would require putting them to sleep, again that can be done without doping the patient up.

Cpt. Mayson Drake,MD CMO
Medical Diplomatic Corps
Assigned to
meH'Haj

The Doctor is in. Did you see the starship that hit you?
Email View Profile RenCarr1   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #27 - Mar 10th, 2006, 1:53am

Having thought on this I am tempted to say that in the future, you are restricted to Klingon medicine because this is a Klingon tourney.  That doesn't mean you have to have a Klingon doctor, just that you are limited in what can be done.  That seems to fit with this being a Klingon tourney and it would allow for someone to cheat.. not that it will have an afffect in character, unless people want me to put in the ability to cheat and the chance of getting caught and disqualified.

But doing the change above.. that is, restricting medical care to fold medicine means:

1.  I have to clearly define what that is.  What can and can't be done.

2.  People have to have fewer injuries early in the tourney.

3.  There needs to be more time to rest IC.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
QolavraH
Combatant

Without honor, there
is nothing.

Reply #28 - Mar 12th, 2006, 1:55am

1.  I have to clearly define what that is.  What can and can't be done.

This could be done and if there are things that come up next year, then we deal with them the year after and add them to the list.
      I don't have a problem with people getting dermally regenerated and whatever.  What I have a problem with is if Q'olavraH gets her thigh sliced open to the bone and she gets QaraH to put some plants on it and stitch it up with catgut and she has to fight an hour after that, I will portray the slice to the thigh and the weakness it presents.
       I have seen others get sliced open and then they go see the Doc and the Doc uses those magic Federation things to take care of it.. so then Q'ol faces this person and they are good as new, but Q'ol still has her cut.  Surface wounds, fine, regenerate away, lord knows you don't want some scar marring your perfect Federation faces.

2.  People have to have fewer injuries early in the tourney.

How I would solve this is the opening rounds the ones that are one after the other.. Make there be a no strike rule.  No hitting your opponent hard enough to draw blood, or break bone.  Bruises and scratches are fine.  Anyone who breaks this rule is disqualified.

3.  There needs to be more time to rest IC.

More time for bloodwine.  I'm all for this!

Q'olavraH la'
Support Vessel HoD
KDB
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #29 - Mar 12th, 2006, 3:59am

Actually my current thought was that the day of hell with all the matches would be be first blood or first strike, not a full disarm.  But I'd still use the disarm for the app because first X in the app right now is too random.

Does that make since?  IC is first strike, OOC is still the app doing disarm.  I just didn't want to post that before people had time to think about it.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #30 - Mar 12th, 2006, 6:03am

What about starting with first strike/first blood and in the later matches of Phase II going for disarm? Some of the folks in Phase II who don't stand a chance of getting into Phase III would still like to do a disarm match or two..  just to have a variety of things. You can get first strike, first blood  then disarm. mix and match the matches. SO that each competitor fights, say... 3 first strike, 2 first blood, and 3 disarm matches, or whatever. After all you do have to have a certain skill to do the first strike matches. (averting the blade and whatnot.)

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
Krahl
Active Attendee

To err is Human...
 Thank Qo'noS
I'm a Klingon.

Reply #31 - Mar 12th, 2006, 10:56am

I like the idea of making the qualifying stage varied.  Good idea.

Email View Profile krahlkbrdlok   IP Logged
Ta`pez
Combatant

Glorious victories
are ahead of us

Reply #32 - Mar 12th, 2006, 12:36pm

why not let the individual fighters decide - rather then having a fixed spot.

Ta'pez 'ech
TF2X0 TF44
View Profile WWW Ta`pez Ta`pez tapez_meHHaj forcefedsleeper   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #33 - Mar 12th, 2006, 12:43pm

There's a chance people will choose 'disarm' because they're better at winning that than winning a first strike/blood match. Maybe in Phase III.  

Besides in any tournament setting you don't ask the competitors "okay guys, what do you wanna do?"

Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #34 - Mar 12th, 2006, 12:48pm

First strike/blood lean toward the better better, but not by much.   If I really used the current combat prog with that setting, it would just be random and we could just as well flip coins for 5 rounds which defeats the purpose of having phase II.

Note I said making it FS/FB in character but still using ths disarm setting of the app.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
Ta`pez
Combatant

Glorious victories
are ahead of us

Reply #35 - Mar 12th, 2006, 12:56pm

Quote from K`Hare totlh on Mar 12th, 2006, 12:48pm:

Note I said making it FS/FB in character but still using ths disarm setting of the app.

i dont see why - i dont think its fair to use one but pretend that it is the other, why not make the batleth tournament inaacessible to past winners and members admirality - have them fight with other characters.

Ta'pez 'ech
TF2X0 TF44
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #36 - Mar 12th, 2006, 1:41pm

You are only saying that because you heard me say it first so you can take credit when the system changes next year.  And its not the same thing anyway.  One is about when fighters are too strong to fight, the other is about helping the IC flow.

The whole point I was making was 9 disarm matches will wear on you.  Unless I let damage carry between fights it defies logic.  But if the eary fights were FB, IC, then having 9 or 11 or 13 matchs in two days wouldn't be so bad.  The other fix would be to streatch out time.. but then we get 5 or 6 nights of bar talk... I am up for that... but does everyone want a 3 month betleH tourney?

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
Ta`pez
Combatant

Glorious victories
are ahead of us

Reply #37 - Mar 12th, 2006, 2:08pm

well i think if you want to have the medical part of the game matter then hp points and agility points (in terms of dammage) will need to be integrated into the program and made count - then the players would know what happened.

Ta'pez 'ech
TF2X0 TF44
Krahl
Active Attendee

To err is Human...
 Thank Qo'noS
I'm a Klingon.

Reply #38 - Mar 12th, 2006, 2:12pm

OK how about a bat'etH Premier League...

Only the big guys get in it.  You qualify by winning the Annual Tourney or by being accepted as obviously over tough.

The Tourney runs pretty much as is, though K'Hare is bound to tweak it even if 100% said it was currently perfect.  The Premier guys do something at different stages through the year and their final is also at the Tourney.

That way we get the fresh blood.  Give everyone a chance of doing great fight posts and great apres fight posts.  We also get a whole big macho thing from the big hitters.

Krahl
Active Attendee

To err is Human...
 Thank Qo'noS
I'm a Klingon.

Reply #39 - Mar 12th, 2006, 2:15pm

Quote from K`Hare totlh on Mar 12th, 2006, 1:41pm:
but does everyone want a 3 month betleH tourney?

Well 2 months would be OK...  seriously we could easily stretch the fun out that long.  Not sure the SIMMs that don't wholly live on this would like it though.

For us Klingons its a big deal.  We all kind of make it here in some form.  We all have our own little things going on.  But some SIMMs might not like their Chief of Ops being gone so long.

My idea above might fix some of that.  I dunno.

KVok
Combatant

Sanity is for the
weak of mind.

Reply #40 - Mar 12th, 2006, 9:56pm

2 months? Some of us might go insane...insaner...

K'Vok ne'
Rear Admiral Clawson's Personal Stalker
http://horizon.taylord1.co.uk/main.php?pageref=bio&crewid=87
Email View Profile KVok mandarhobbit mandarhobbit   IP Logged
QolavraH
Combatant

Without honor, there
is nothing.

Reply #41 - Mar 13th, 2006, 1:05am

See.. now me, I think K'rahl took a conversation we had a couple weeks ago and ran with it.

A big hitter's league is a good idea, if we can get all the big hitters to agree to it.  K'Hare, Satian, ta'pez, K'rahl.. etc.. etc.. whoever else I missed.

See then you get the 'regular' folks who actually then have a chance to win the tourney.. lets call them the light weight division... and you get the heavyweights who have a chance to win their own 'class' if you will.

There are so many ways and things to do it boggles, don't ya think?  The question is, does the guy who has to write and tweak the program have time? Smiley

The first blood idea for the initial phase is good, but as you say leave it at disarm so it isn't completely random.  Even a 5 year old child could draw blood first on K'Hare, if he bit him hard enough... Wink

Q'olavraH la'
Support Vessel HoD
KDB
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread