Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
betleH tourney database

May 16th, 2024, 4:52am
News: Check the Questions area and follow the instructions. Make sure you are listed on the manifest in the right place... as fighter or attendee... and make sure your attendance icons are set right.

Home Help Search Login
Host simm site

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread
Phase 2 thoughts (Read 1897 times)
Taj`vl
Combatant

Klingons rule.

Re: Phase 2 thoughts
Reply #30 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 1:19am

I like this format as it is... Last year, Ness was eliminated first round (by someone that's been permanently banned from the tourney. no less)...  Even with Taj, I am out first round of the brackets (whoops, spoiled that one.  but it wasn't much of a surprise).  The phase II matches gave me muh more to do.  I like them the way they are.

Taj'vl ne', Son of poQ, House of Chang
Chief Helm, I.K.S. D'bloq

Ness Sogh
Chief Ops/ex-2XO, I.K.S. meH'Haj

*Replacement line has been removed because of potentially inflammatory content.*
Email View Profile WWW Taj`vl Taj`vl 251155676 jakethomasness Tajvl   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #31 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 2:31am

I think the idea of phaseII wont go away.  It does give everyone more matches.  That was the point of adding it and we couldn't do it without the automated app.  You guys have no idea how much work it was to do the matches in previous years.

But 7 days of real time is too much.  Also, I think that there was a lot of RP posts before combat started and it slowed down after.  In part because so many people were tired from the 2500! posts and also, because people just went back in time to post because the day moved slow during phase II.

Putting this all together, I am leaning toward making it 9 rounds for phaseII but making that take two days and going 12 hours between fights.  So there would be a few days at the start in real time to get things going... then 2 days with 4 rounds of phaseII, then the night threads and the morning threads for the second day, and then 5 matches of phaseII.  I think that would spread out the stuff before combat, give people a few days in the middle of phaseII to conjecture on how its going, and just smooth the flow a little.    Finally, before next year I will come up with a way to insure that in phase II you face distinct opponents.  That should help make it more even.

EDIT:  I am not saying this is how it will be.  The judges will decide during the next year when we look back and think about what could be better.  This is just how I would vote now.  I am posting this so the *minions* can comment.  (:}

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
Forum admin for BFKC and betleH tourney
View Profile   IP Logged
FADM Wolfe
Combatant

Is also known as
precision. :-) Ro's
Precision.

Reply #32 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 4:27am

Hey, I'm sick, and life's been a dirty nasty female dog right now... but you could PM or email me and we can work on a post Smiley

Edit... opps... the above was in regards to a post about me not posting since day one Sad

=[OOOOO]=
Fleet Admiral Tomas Wolfe
Klingon House of Terlek
Bravo Fleet CnC
CO, USS Wildcat, NX 35324-B, Wildcat Class
http://www.usswildcat.org
http://www.bravofleet.com

AOLIM - BFAdmTWolfe
Yahoo - saberwolfe_1
Email View Profile WWW BFAdmTWolfe   IP Logged
Jim Hunter
Active Attendee

Human. Don't mess.

Reply #33 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:46am

Withdrawals would be a good addition to the program. Say the CIA finally catches up with me and I have to ship out to Tokyo tomorrow, I could click the 'Withdraw' button at the bottom of my profile, and with a bit of luck, the program would compensate, causing Hunter to forfeit his remaining matches.

If it's late into Phase II, and he's already got a good record and so goes to Phase III, that could either result in an interesting group of IC interactions, or simply a substitution by one of the judges; whoever was next in line takes his spot.

Once the code is written for such a choice, it can also be implemented by K'Hare, so if I don't post at all and can't be contacted, he can cause Hunter to withdraw.

The choice following such a decision would be whether or not to have Hunter withdraw IC, or simply lose his remaining matches. Disqualification would be interesting, but I'm not sure what IC reason would be cooked up.

James Hunter
Test Pilot - KDB
"There's a reason Sisko could fight. He was Human."
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #34 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:54am

I like the sound of that.. obviously none of us can guarantee for sure that we'll be free all of Feb to participate in the competition. So an option to withdraw/forfeit should be available for the players.  It's fairly easy to cover up IC if you're a CO/TFCO/BFCO, a bit harder to do if you're a player, but it would be fun to do nevetheless..  

There is always the idea of something happens which gets someone disqualified (say the character takes some meds which make him stronger, but the judges don't know about it, until later on... or the character cheats somehow; that might go well if the character has a good track record. or the character sabotaged their opponents' blades, or used another weapon or something in the arena other than the betleh. (although that last one might be a bit tricky to pull off... but certainly possible.  old fashioned knife or if it's a Klingon character, maybe their Daqtagh...or if it's a human character fighting with a Klingon character, who's to say they can't snag the Klingon's Daqtagh and stab the Klingon? that's likely to get them disqualified...)

Rear Admiral Jackie Clawson
Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
USS Horizon: http://horizon.taylord1.co.uk
Task Force 58: http://tf58.bravofleet.com
Biography: http://horizon.taylord1.co.uk/main.php?pageref=bio&crewid=47
Email View Profile WWW Jackie Clawson BFJackieClawson BFJackieClawson   IP Logged
KVok
Combatant

Sanity is for the
weak of mind.

Reply #35 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:23pm

Or starting a fight in a bar that leads to their arrest for the duration of the tournament.

K'Vok ne'
Rear Admiral Clawson's Personal Stalker
http://horizon.taylord1.co.uk/main.php?pageref=bio&crewid=87
Email View Profile KVok mandarhobbit mandarhobbit   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #36 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 1:48pm

One idea a player gave me that I will work on is the idea of someone throwing the fight.  I am going to try and add something that lets you fight at a lower skill after the tourney so it would be there next year.  Say you have a skill 6.   This would let you fight at skill 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.  You would change that value just like you change your honor stance... just don't forget to fix it later.  (:}  That would make it easy for me to make it unlikely someone would win.  OF course, sometimes upsets happen.

Right now it really is a pain for me to force the program to make somene win.  I don't even see who wins now until I post it on the site.  Its all automated and the match happens, files get made, and email goes out.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
Forum admin for BFKC and betleH tourney
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread