Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
betleH tourney database

May 15th, 2024, 11:33pm
News: Please ask if you have any queries, don't assume things - speak to the Judges or Host CO.

Home Help Search Login
Host simm site

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread
Hit me with your best shot.... (Read 613 times)
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Hit me with your best shot....
Feb 16th, 2006, 3:57am

OK, I will open the floor for questions about the combat program.  I wont answer details.  I don't want anyone to minimax their skills or figure some other way to maniulate the program.  But I will answer general complaints or questions about the program.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
Forum admin for BFKC and betleH tourney
View Profile   IP Logged
Jim Hunter
Active Attendee

Human. Don't mess.

Re: Hit me with your best shot....
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2006, 5:46am

In this combat, Hunter scored more hits, was blocked less often and missed only three more times than the opponent (though had two less breaks - breaks?), but despite this still lost the match.

I'd ask if this was just a lucky hit on the part of Tor'gos, but there doesn't seem to be anything along the lines of "Tor'gos disarms Hunter' in the code - I don't think that's written into the possibilities - so it doesn't seem to make sense.

I'm not bothered about it as I only noticed after doing my write up of the fight, and it's better to write a loss than a victory, but it does seem a bit anomolous. Surely if the stats are in one fighter's favour and there's no 'victory move' that can come out of the blue, then that fighter should win?  

Apologies if you've answered this elsewhere - I didn't have time to read all of the development threads when you were doing them.

James Hunter
Test Pilot - KDB
"There's a reason Sisko could fight. He was Human."
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2006, 6:14am

Breaks is the part where you step back to take a rest between the rounds because the fighters get tired.  Some fighters take more breaks than others.

Rear Admiral Jackie Clawson
Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
USS Horizon: http://horizon.taylord1.co.uk
Task Force 58: http://tf58.bravofleet.com
Biography: http://horizon.taylord1.co.uk/main.php?pageref=bio&crewid=47
Email View Profile WWW Jackie Clawson BFJackieClawson BFJackieClawson   IP Logged
Jim Hunter
Active Attendee

Human. Don't mess.

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2006, 6:16am

Ah, cheers.

James Hunter
Test Pilot - KDB
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2006, 7:04am

To put it simply:

each fghter has a certain amount of hit points.

Each strike does damage.  In character this is 'tiring' damage, not real damage.  but the damage does very.  Later I might count hits (just tire you), scratches (you bleed), and wounds (real damage) as part of the final stats.

If you read the text you might get a hint of the strength of the hit.  So its possible that your opponent gets lucky with damage and you get more tired first.  Also, vulcans and some others do a little bit of extra damage from their high strength.  That will only get more defined next year.

Now, when your hit points (exhaustion) get too low, you start to take breaks.  Essentially this is at the point where the next hit will take you out if you don't rest.  So you rest which helps you recover.  So its easy for a fighter to start resting and his opponent then keeps hitting him and wearing him down and having that go on for a while until the opponent misses, you are then rested and can attack, or the opponent gets a strong hit and takes you out even though you are rested.

I hope that made sense.  Think D&D and hit points but realyl I am going for something more like Hero and STUN vs. DAMAGE.

There is a 1/500,000 chance of being knocked out and a 1/500,000 chance of being wounded.  The idea of the wound is you'd be out for the rest of the tourney or you'd have some damage at the start of matches but I wont enforce that this year.  If it even comes up.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
Jackie Clawson
Combatant
Kitty's

Killer Kitty!

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2006, 7:10am

I know it's not factored into this tourney, but it has me a bit curious: what about stuff like agility? some might be more agile and thus are more likely to move out of the way from an incoming attack or escape a blow once or twice, more often than the other folks. (sharper senses so to speak, or just quicker on their feet)

Rear Admiral Jackie Clawson
Commanding Officer
USS Horizon - A
Task Force CO
Task Force 58
----------
USS Horizon: http://horizon.taylord1.co.uk
Task Force 58: http://tf58.bravofleet.com
Biography: http://horizon.taylord1.co.uk/main.php?pageref=bio&crewid=47
Email View Profile WWW Jackie Clawson BFJackieClawson BFJackieClawson   IP Logged
Jim Hunter
Active Attendee

Human. Don't mess.

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2006, 7:22am

Quote from K`Hare totlh on Feb 16th, 2006, 7:04am:
To put it simply:
If you read the text you might get a hint of the strength of the hit. So its possible that your opponent gets lucky with damage and you get more tired first. Also, vulcans and some others do a little bit of extra damage from their high strength.

Now, when your hit points (exhaustion) get too low, you start to take breaks. Essentially this is at the point where the next hit will take you out if you don't rest. So you rest which helps you recover. So its easy for a fighter to start resting and his opponent then keeps hitting him and wearing him down and having that go on for a while until the opponent misses, you are then rested and can attack, or the opponent gets a strong hit and takes you out even though you are rested.

Never played any D&D stuff but that makes sense. In short, K'Tol makes a flawless attack will do more damage than K'Tol gets a hit. Pretty logical.  

James Hunter
Test Pilot - KDB
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2006, 2:18pm

Exactly.  A flawless attack is the best hit you can get.   A hit is the weakest.  A strong or solid hit is in the middle.

I haven't explained the specifics on purpose and the difference in the hits is based on a lucky hit (attacker rolls a 20 on a d20, so he rolls again and gets another 20... that's a critical hit) or the defender blocking or not.

As before, I can't promise there are no bugs but I don't know of any and anything there should effect each fighter equally... or give them an equal chance of being affected.  At least twice I have seen a 'significatly' weaker fighter win a match.  And one of the top 8 fighters is not in the top 16 due to a hard schdule of having to fight strong opponents while at least one weak fighter is in the top 16 due to an easy schedule.  That is all random effect.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2006, 2:36pm

What happens in the event that two or more players are tied for the last few spots into the next round?  Is there a run off round to see which of them goes through?

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
Chief Communications Officer
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2006, 2:53pm

Ties aren't possible.   If tied in win/loss then honor and glory are the tie breakers.  They are random but its something to use.  OK, so a tie is possible, but very unlikely.

And next year I will probably push to have this be 9 or 11 rounds and advance them twice a day.  So in 5-6 days you get the 11 rounds and then the win/loss thing would break up better.

Would that be too much work?  I know some people are posting matches for these rounds.  To be honest, with the work to run things and some RL stuff, I haven' started reading day 2.  But are fighters enjoying the writing up the phaseII?

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
satian
Combatant

Satian

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2006, 3:31pm

things are going much smoother then the last time i joined one of these.  Having a blast and love the posts

View Profile satian mr_faroite faroite ca   IP Logged
Jim Hunter
Active Attendee

Human. Don't mess.

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2006, 2:24pm

Seems good so far. I haven't had as much time as I'd like to read much more past the threads I'm involved in, but extending it more than an IC hour an OOC day as the fights are currently set up would just drag it out too much imo. Plus, given that the longer the tournament progresses, the more threads an active player finds themselves responding to, it would really get to unmanageable levels towards the end.

James Hunter
Test Pilot - KDB
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread