Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
betleH tourney database

May 15th, 2024, 2:55am
News: Check the Questions area and follow the instructions. Make sure you are listed on the manifest in the right place... as fighter or attendee... and make sure your attendance icons are set right.

Home Help Search Login
Host simm site

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread
A Thoughtful Breakfast (Read 3008 times)
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

A Thoughtful Breakfast
Reply #45 - Mar 10th, 2006, 2:11pm

On:

"I said that," Kentra said, "but that is not important.  You don't think that we are any different?  We love challenge, struggle and victory just as much.  My father's proudest day was when after our replicators broke down and we could not get a new one for a year we survived a hard winter by living off our own crops and animals."

"I enjoy challenging myself, learning new languages," she said, "I love life just as much as a Klingon, I just do not believe I have the right to deprive someone else of that life."

"And why do you talk as though there are hordes of attacking pacifists just beating down your door?  Perhaps you have confused pacifists with Jem 'Hadar.  We do not attack.  Or do you have a fleet of blind Aenar at the door of your House wanting to turn your children into librarians?  Is it the Mizarians that you struggle so bravely against?"

<tag>

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
Chief Communications Officer
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Re: A Thoughtful Breakfast
Reply #46 - Mar 10th, 2006, 3:09pm

"I speak with some hyperbole of course, but the idea of pacifism is something to fight.  It is a concept for the pampered and lazy, for those that think they are better because killing is beneath them.  It is an infectious idea that must be fought off like any other attacker in the same way that the romulan ideals must be fought off."

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
Forum admin for BFKC and betleH tourney
View Profile   IP Logged
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

Reply #47 - Mar 10th, 2006, 4:27pm

"It's not because we're pampered or lazy," Kentra said, "it's not easy.  There's nothing more that I'd like to do right now than hit you with a brick, but that wouldn't adhere to my beliefs so I have to keep my anger in check.  That and I realize that you'd be able to kill me without any trouble if you wanted.  Yet you don't kill me because you probably would find no honour in killing someone who wouldn't fight back."

"What happens when there is no longer need for you to fight K'Hare?  When the empire or your House no longer has enemies, threats that blasters and bet'lehs can drive away.  Would you lay down your arms then, or would you simply find a new enemy?"

<Tag>

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #48 - Mar 10th, 2006, 7:02pm

"How can there be a time of no enemies?   There may be surplus in the short term but eventually, everything runs out.  And when that happens someone must get more while someone else gets less.  And the one who gets more, traditionally is the one who fights.  That is nature.   That is the key to what I mean when I call you, meaning the federation, pampered.  You have the luxury of choosing to be a pacifist.   The Empire never has had that choice."

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

A Thoughtful Breakfast
Reply #49 - Mar 10th, 2006, 7:39pm

On:

"Maybe you're just not willing to let the Empire have that chance," Kentra said, "Regardless, I would be a pacifist even with enemies at my door.  It goes beyond comfort, or being pampered."

"I suppose it was foolish of me to expect you to understand.  But I felt that if I could get you, or other Klingons, to understand my belief, then in a way that would allow me to reconcile with Denax's past and remove some of the guilt I feel for being the cause of his death."

<Tag>

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #50 - Mar 10th, 2006, 8:17pm

"You keep saying I don't understand but I think you mean I don't agree.  Why is my approval so important to you?  I understood your position as soon as you said you are a pacifist.  I know what it means and I have heard the arguments before.  My understanding doesn't change the fact that you are simply wrong.  Your position is unatural and contrary to the way every known species developed."  He toook a drink.

"At least you understand it is your problem.  You seek to use us to understand yourself... but you want me to change my beliefs for your benefit.  I am not against change, when I cease to grow, I cease to live, that is the Klingon way.  But a Klingon changes to better himself, to serve his House, to serve the Empire, not some weak outsider who will be wiped out and forgotten." He took another drink.

"And why do you have to reconcile anything that denax did.   You are kentra the pacifist, not denax, spouse of a Klingon.  YOU were not there.  YOU were not involved.  You simply have his memories in the parasite."  K'Hare couldn't believe he was lecturing a trill on past lives.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

A Thoughtful Breakfast
Reply #51 - Mar 10th, 2006, 8:27pm

On:

Kentra nodded, "You're right, but it's not that easy.  In theory any contact with previous lives, children, spouses and the like, is forbiden.  However it's not as easy in practice as it sounds.  I am not a perfect host, I know that."

"If you truely understand pacifism then I suppose there's nothing else I can say," she said, "I have been foolish to think I could change your mind.  I wish you luck and great honour in your life, but it is obvious that my opinion must matter little to you."

<Tag>

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #52 - Mar 10th, 2006, 8:51pm

"Finally we have an understanding."  Then he looked at hunter.  "Learn anything?"

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

A Thoughtful Breakfast
Reply #53 - Mar 10th, 2006, 8:55pm

On:

"Was this entire argument just about teaching him a lesson?" Kentra asked, "Because you know what he argued just as well as you did for your position earlier.  I think you might need to give him a cosmetic brow and make him an honourary Klingon."

<Tag>

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #54 - Mar 10th, 2006, 9:06pm

"Of course not.  It was for my own benefit."  He appeared serious.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

A Thoughtful Breakfast
Reply #55 - Mar 10th, 2006, 9:09pm

"What did you get out of it?  Enjoyment?  You say you have heard all my arguments before," Kentra said puzzled, "And I obviously did nothing to convince you that I'm not a foolish girl."

<Tag>

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
Jim Hunter
Active Attendee

Human. Don't mess.

Reply #56 - Mar 13th, 2006, 5:17pm

Hunter was slow to answer. He had watched the entire exchange take place with a mixture of interest and gritted teeth. The Trill might have a deal more experience in the world than he did and he was willing to guess her IQ was higher than his, but even the pilot knew not to debate the virtues of pacifism with a Klingon, not that he would ever need to, he guessed.

“I think…” he offered tentatively, eager to see a halt to the discussion, “that both sides have had good points made for them and you should consider…” he trailed off as it seemed K’Hare was more than unimpressed by his answer.

“Okay, I think pacifism is a bad idea, period. K’Hare’s absolutely right when he talks about species needing combat to survive and if your way of life is attacked, well,” he sought for words, not wanting to offend the Trill, “I suppose it could be argued that not fighting and dying for what you believe in is honourable, but there’s no use to it. Eventually, all that ensures is that your way of life stops existing because there’s no one left alive who believes in it.”

“That being said,” he turned to K’Hare again, “given the choice between war and peace, I’d choose… peace,” he found himself inadvertently coughing as he said the word, “and I think war’s a last resort.” He shrugged. “It has to be an option though. Always.”      

James Hunter
Test Pilot - KDB
"There's a reason Sisko could fight. He was Human."
Email View Profile   IP Logged
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

A Thoughtful Breakfast
Reply #57 - Mar 13th, 2006, 8:33pm

On:

"It's not about defending a way of life, except in that the only defence is to live as my faith dictates," Kentra said, "I realize that this is a secular time, but I wouldn't to go against the wishes of God simply to defend my corporal body in the here and now."

She shrugged, "Donrav might live another thousand years, but Kentra only has maybe eighty to a hundred left, and I'm going to be faithful during that time."

<tag>

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
K`Hare totlh
YaBB Administrator
betleH Judges

Get your own keg!

Reply #58 - Mar 13th, 2006, 8:48pm

"A life that isn't worth dying for isn't worth living.  But it seems we have exhausted the topic for now."  Without another word he got up and left for the next round.

K'Hare totlh
CO Klach D'kel Brakt
TFCO TF86
View Profile   IP Logged
KentraDonrav
Combatant

Trills rule.

A Thoughtful Breakfast
Reply #59 - Mar 13th, 2006, 8:58pm

On:

Kentra sighed heavily, "Klingons can't seem to understand how you might be willing to die, and not kill.  To them the two are so intertwined that the thought of dying for your belief, but not killing for it is incomprehensible."

<Tag>

Lieutenant Kentra Donrav
USS Laffey
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread